Know How To Effectively Clean Your Orthodontics To Protect Your Smile
By All Smiles
December 11, 2014
Category: Oral Health
If you’ve opted to get braces, then you may be preparing yourself for the lifestyle changes you will have to make before you get orthodontics. While traditional metal braces and even Invisalign come with pretty straightforward and simple cleaning instructions, there are some types of braces that are getting overshadowed. One of these is lingual braces, which are metal brackets that attach to the back of teeth to make them less visible.
Lingual braces can be a great option for those who want a straighter smile without other people noticing. They are also a great option for those who aren’t good candidates for Invisalign or other types of clear braces. However, you may be wondering how to properly care and clean your lingual braces, particularly since they are placed behind the teeth. Your Worth orthodontist offers up tips on how to properly care for your lingual braces so you can have a healthy, straighter smile.
Since lingual braces will offer more places for bacteria and food to hide, you’ll need to take some extra time and care to make sure that you get into every hard-to-reach spot you possibly can. This means following these handy tips to ensure that your teeth stay clean and healthy:
- Brush after every meal to get rid of any lingering food particles that may be trapped. Be thorough and really take your time brushing.
- Always carry a toothbrush with you wherever you go. Whether you are eating lunch at the school cafeteria or snacking on the go, you will want to have a toothbrush handy to ensure that you brush right after.
- Purchase an interdental brush, which will make it significantly easier to clean the brackets and wires. Use this in conjunction with regular dental floss to get in between teeth and hard-to-reach spots.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash every night to protect your tooth’s enamel from decay. This will also prevent stains from forming under your braces.
- You will want to visit your orthodontist regularly to make sure that your teeth and gums are healthy and that you are doing a thorough job cleaning them. Plus, your orthodontist can also give you a professional cleaning that will be sure to remove anything that you may have missed. When you come in to get your lingual braces, we will let you know how often you should be coming back for routine checkups.
If you have any questions about how to properly care for your lingual braces, give us a call. We would be happy to sit down and talk with you. You only get one smile; let’s make it a good one!